Healthy Vegetable Strata Recipe
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or grapeseed oil)
- ½ onion chopped or grated
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic chopped or pressed
- 1 cup vegetable of choice (organic grated zucchini, chopped asparagus, chopped baby bella mushrooms, spinach, or artichoke hearts)
- ½– ¾ cup cheese (raw cheddar, goat cheese, fontina, parmesan, or your favorite cheese)
- ½ tsp sea salt divided
- 8 eggs organic free-range
- 1 cup almond milk (or organic whole milk or goat milk)
- 2 tbsp organic dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 3 slices Ezekiel bread (or any sprouted bread) (crusts removed and cut into cubes)(Core Plan only)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, and garlic and cook until soft. Add in the vegetables and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and cook, remove while still somewhat crips. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, parsley, pepper, and remaining salt.
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish and place the bread across the bottom. Spread veggie mixture over the bread then sprinkle with ½ of the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and top with remaining cheese. Let stand for about 10–15 minutes to let the bread soak up some of the liquid.
- Bake in a 375º oven for about 30 minutes or until firm in the center and browned on top.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serve.